|Tourism in Meghalaya
Located among the beauty of nature, the state is one of the unique tourists’ spot in north-east India. There are plenty of natural beauties such as diversity of flora and fauna, National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuary, Waterfall, Rivers, Lakes, Valleys, scenic landscapes, and many more.
Major Attractions of Meghalaya Tourism
- Shillong: The capital and largest city of state, Shillong is a wonderful hill station in the state. Because of its beautiful location, it is popular as ‘abode of the gods’ and ‘Scotland of the East.’ Major attractions are scenic landscapes, trekking, waterfalls etc.
- Cherrapunji: Cherrapunji is a small town of the state, but popular across the world because it holds the record of having the maximum rainy days in a calendar month. Further, the place is also popular for ‘Tree Root Bridges.’
- Jakrem: Located at the distance of 64 Kms from Shillong, Jakrem is a health resort popular for its gushing hot-spring of sulphur water.
- Mawlynnong: Though, this is a small village of Meghalaya, but it is ranked as one of the cleanest villages of Asia.
- Ranikor: The major attractions of Ranikor are fresh water fish, plenty of carps, and angling.
- Dawki: It is known for the scenic landscapes.
- Diengiei Peak: It is located to the west of Shillong plateau and popular for its structure that looks like a huge cup shaped hollow, which is most likely the extinct of pre-historic volcano.
- Sacred Forest Mawphlang: Located at the distance of about 25 km from Shillong, it is popular for its sacred-groves.
- Kyllang Rock: It is popular for its millions of years old steep dome of red granite.
- Rengthiam fall: Surrounded by pleasing landscape it is a beautiful cascade fall.
- Sweet fall: A stunning waterfall located in the Happy Valley of Meghalaya.
- Elephant fall
- Weinia falls
- Bishop Falls
- Spread Eagle falls
- Shadthum Falls
- Langshiang Falls
- Nohkalikai Falls
- Krem Kotsati
- Bok Bak Dobhakol
- Nokrek National Park
- Balpakram National Park