Located in a beautiful landscape, Manipur is a wonderful place for tourism. Because of its beauty and cultural richness, it is known as “land of jewels.” One of the most popular game i.e. ‘Polo’ is most probably originated in Manipur. However, the major tourists’ attractions in the state are given below:
- Imphal: Imphal is capital as well as the largest city of the state. City is located in a beautiful landscape and having plenty of attractions. However, handicrafts and other local products are popular in the markets of Paona Bazar, Leima Plaza, Ningthibi Collection etc.
- Shree Govindajee Temple: This is one of the oldest temples in the state dedicated to Radha Gobinda; other significant deities in the temple are Krishna, Balram etc.
- Keibul Lamjao National Park: This is popular as floating National Park of the world. However, there are many rare and endangered species including Brow Antlered Deer.
- Loktak Lake: Loktak is one of the most significant points in the state. However, the lake is popular for the floating island i.e. Phumdi. Actually phumdi is made up of the tangle of watery weeds and many other plants.
Some other attractions
- Moirang: It is for the Meitei folk culture. However, an ancient temple of the pre-Hindu deity Lord Thangjing is also popular here.
- Moreh: A town located near the border of Myanmar.
- Churachandpur: This is popular and second largest town of the state.
- Khonghampat Orchidarium: This is a huge orchid spread in an area of 200 acres.
- Manipur Zoological Gardens
- War cemeteries