||Tourism in Jammu and Kashmir
From many centuries, Jammu and Kashmir is popular for the tourism; starting from the Mughal Emperors to British and now modern period, state always remains the focal point for the tourism. Interestingly, the state is popular as ‘heaven on earth.’ It has wide range of tourist’s attractions including Hindu temples, lakes, gardens, forts, and natural landscapes. Besides, there are some fascinating activities including skiing, river rafting, trekking, boating, mountain biking etc.
Major Tourists’ Attractions in Jammu and Kashmir
Fascinating Cities of Jammu and Kashmir
Other Tourist’s Attractions in Jammu and Kashmir
- Srinagar: The summer capital of the state, Srinagar is the central point of the state. People love to visit this place. Significant attractions in the city are houseboats in Dal Lake, gardens, and natural landscapes.
- Jammu: The winter capital of state, Jammu is a religious place; thousands of people visit every year to worship Mata Vaishno Devi.
- Gulmarg: Located in mesmerizing landscape, Gulmarg is one of the most popular tourist’s points. Tourists love here skiing. However, gulf course is also popular here.
- Leh: Located in Ladakh region, Leh is largely popular for as adventurous point; trekking is the most popular. It is the capital of Ladakh.
- Pahalgam: Located in a beautiful landscape, Pahalgam is the point from where Amarnath Yatra begins.
- Patnitop: It is popular hill station in the state.
- Katra: It is located on the foothills of the Trikuta Mountain. This is popular because yatra (journey) of Mata Vaishno Devi shrine begins from this place.
Important tourists’ points in Kashmir Valley
Major Tourists’ Attractions in Jammu
- Dal Lake: It is one of the most popular attractions in Srinagar. It is popular for its Shikharas (house boats).
- Mughal Garden: Popular since the time of Mughal Emperors, it has various mesmerizing flowers.
- Vernag Spring: Popular for the fresh water spring.
- Shalimar Garden: Popular for scenic beauty.
- Manasbal Lake: Popular for its beautiful landscape.
- Nishant Garden: Known for scenic beauty.
- Amarnath Temple: It is one of the most religious temples of Lord Shiva; this temple opens for devotees only for a few months of summer season.
- Kheer Bhawani Temple: It is popular temple in Kashmir Valley.
- Shankaracharya Temple: It is ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Pari Mahal: Old monument is poplar for its scenic view.
- Hari Parbat: It is popular ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Sharika Bhagwati.
- Arun Valley: Known for its natural landscapes.
- Betaab Valley: Located in densely covered vegetation region, Betaab Valley is popular for the natural landscapes.
- Vaishno Devi Temple: Located on Trikuta Mountains in Jammu, Mata Vaishno Devi Temple is the most visited Hindu shrine in north India.
- Bhaderwah: It is popular as a hill station.
- Mantalai and Shivkhori: It is known for the eco-tourism.
- Bhimgarh Fort: It is located in beautiful landscape.
- Punj Old Fort: Historic fort in a natural landscape.
Major Tourists’ Attraction in Ladakh
- Nubra Valley: Located in a beautiful landscape, it is popular for its local culture and small towns namely Deskit and Hundar.
- Pangong Lake: It is located on the international border of India and China.
- Lake Moriri: This Lake is located on high altitude and so, it has beautiful landscape.
- Zanskar: This is popular landscape located on high altitude. Tourists enjoy here trekking, site seeing. Another attraction in the region is the freezing of Zanskar River. After freezing, it transformed into an adventurous trek, which is locally known as ‘Chadar.’